Re: montoring AIX error log on multiple servers.

From: Adams Kevin J (kevin.adams@PHS.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 14:08:19 EST

This is from a previous post:

Logging Maintenance Activities
The errlogger command allows the system administrator to record messages in
the error log. Whenever you perform a maintenance activity, such as clearing
entries from the error log, replacing hardware, or applying a software fix,
it is a good idea to record this activity in the system error log.

Redirecting syslog Messages to Error Log
Some applications use syslog for logging errors and other events. Some
administrators find it desirable to be able to list error log messages and
syslog messages in a single report. This can be accomplished by redirecting
the syslog messages to the error log. You can do this by specifying errlog
as the destination in the syslog configuration file (/etc/syslog.conf). See
the syslogd daemon for more information.

Directing Error Log Messages to Syslog
You can log error log events in the syslog file by using the logger command
with the concurrent error notification capabilities of error log. For
example, to log system messages (syslog), add an errnotify object with the
following contents:

errnotify:
        en_name = "syslog1"
        en_persistenceflg = 1
        en_method = "logger Msg from Error Log: `errpt -l $1 | grep -v
'ERROR_ID TIMESTAMP'`"
For example, create a file called /tmp/syslog.add with these contents, then
run the command odmadd /tmp/syslog.add (you must be logged in as root to do
this).

You can use the errlogger command to verify your setup.

Kevin Adams