Re: Proper Page Space Size on a 5L Box

From: Mills, John T (John.T.Mills@ERAC.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 16:43:09 EST

I don't believe there is a valid formula for swap anymore. Can you imagine
having 64 GB of real memory and configuring 128 GB of swap by the old
Oracle standard? At some point your performance is going to be sluggish
due to the enormous size of swap, if you are using it. Your best bet is to
size for the worst, but always have enough memory so that you don't have
to rely on swap at all. I tend to keep between 2-8GB of swap on my large
systems, but it all depends on how erratic the application is.

John T. Mills