Re: cannot log into the server

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 10:20:58 EST

There is no need to re-boot your server regularly unless you have a fault.

It is possible that you simply don't have enough paging space. If that's
the case then you need to allocate some more. You should refer to the
application vendor for guidance on this; alternatively just keep adding more
until it stops failing! Some applications - SAP, certainly, and probably
things like Oracle Financials, can need a lot of paging space.

If there is a runaway process which is eating up memory, then that needs to
be referred to the application vendor as a fault, (or IBM if it's something
in AIX). There is a document on the IBM Hints and Tips web page about
investigating memory leaks.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

AIX-L Archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l