Re: Oracle and HACMP

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 09:53:49 EST

So; just to make sure I understand the situation...

This is not a problem with a takeover as such; it's a problem getting the
cluster configured and running at all.

What versions of AIX and HACMP are you using? HACMP/ES or classic?

What's your experience with HACMP? (No criticism intended: I just want to
avoid telling you obvious stuff if you're used to working with HACMP.
Having said that, here are a few obvious things. :-))

If I were you, I'd go back to the beginning, (nearly!).

First of all, verify your cluster; both the topology and resource groups.
If that shows any problems then you need to sort them out before continuing.

Assuming it's all OK, I would then make sure that nothing starts
automatically: don't start cluster services automatically, or activate idle
takeover. Keep it all under your own control. I'd also keep the debug
level low; you just get swamped with messages otherwise. Once you've got
some idea of where things are going wrong then you can set it higher if need
be.

Modify your application scripts. Take out all the code which actually does
anything and just put in something like "touch /tmp/ha_application_startup"
so that you can see it's been invoked. This will allow you to play around
with stopping and starting the cluster and migrating resources without
having to worry about the application itself. If nothing else, it'll be
quicker!

Once you've got the basics working - resources acquired correctly - then you
can put back the application script and try it properly.

If you're still having trouble after this, some listings of the cluster
topology and resource group(s) would be helpful.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe