Re: Question about pSeries and shared access to disks

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 10:37:25 EST

If you have adapters with different microcode levels, you are more likely to
have problems. I really wouldn't recommend it, (although I have done it
myself, on occasion!).

The sort of things you can encounter are loss of connection to the SSA
disks, particularly following a reboot; loss of performance; microcode
hangs, at either end; problems with diagnostics.

If you're having trouble getting time on the systems, then it's probably OK
to do them separately, (but try not to wait too long). Doing one first to
test it won't be terribly meaningful, however, as it's not designed to work
that way. (Like running a car with a flat tyre to test it before you put
some air into it. :-))

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe