Re: 3rd party memory

From: Robert Miller (rmiller@SMUD.ORG)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 11:14:55 EST

Good timing, I just last month got an actual reply on this from *our* IBM
guy... here's what seems to be the "official" line...

"IBM will not, in any way, support third party memory. IBM will not do an
MES's install at no cost to the customer, this means that if the customer
purchases third party memory on a non-csu box IBM will not install as part
of the cost of the memory. There will be no warranty from IBM on the
memory. Finally, if the customer ever calls IBM for a service call and the
IBM CE can show that the problem with the box has anything to do with the
third party memory customer will be billed for CE time."

...and when asked what IBM does about any sort of 3rd party hardware...

"You are correct. Anytime third party hardware is put into an IBM RS/6000
or pSeries machine and and IBM CE determines that the failing component is
the third party hardware the CE will be the customer for his/her time. "

So apparently if a CE is called out and finds out that the 3rd party
hardware is what broke, you'll be billed, and it sounds to me like that will
be regardless of any IBM support contracts. They are apparently rather
sticky on this point...

HTH...

--rm