Backing Store (-BS)

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 10:26:44 EST

We have an inhouse software development team that has written a number of
graphical analysis programs. They were originally written for users on Sun
and HP workstations, but have also been ported to AIX (4.3.3).

My problem is that the programs get all screwed up and finally crash on the
RS/6000, unless I turn on Backing Store by adding the X extension "-BS" in
"/usr/lpp/X11/defaults/xserverrc".

I have always been told that you will greatly impact the speed of the
RS/6000 graphics on the console if you turn on Backing Store or
Save-Unders. Now they want me to turn on BS and wouldn't mind also having
Save_Unders if possible.

I say this is just poor programming on their part. We have plenty of
programmers of OpenGL on our RS/6000 and they never needed to rely on the X
server to handle their screen refreshes.

So, my question is: Am I wrong about the effects this -BS X extension will
have on the normal daily graphical activities done on these RS/6000's ?

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.