Re: EMC disk wipe all data

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 11:20:22 EST

I apologize I misread the question. FORGIVINGNESS PLEASE!!!.

--Justin

                      Bill Thompson
                      <bill.thompson@GO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      ODYEAR.COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: EMC disk wipe all data
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      10/30/2002 11:12
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

This is totally incorrect advice.

Varying off and exporting a volume group will *NOT* wipe the data - in fact
it will not touch the data. I can connect another AIX machine to the Symm,
import the volume groups and read everything that was there before.

If you have to do erase the data Simon (as always) has the correct answer -
You must format the media.

However, if you can get some assistance from EMC they have routines that
can be run from the Symm console (the laptop connected to every Symm) that
will perform this simultaneously on multiple disks (something you can't do
from the AIX side). This will erase the data *much* quicker.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2