memory bottleneck

From: fmu@OERAG.DE
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 10:26:49 EST

Hi *,
      on one of our RS/6000 boxes (AIX 4.3.3_ML09) runs an BEA-Applikation
server (Java) and a DB2 Server (V7.1.0.60).
Now it looks in such a way, as if we have a memory bottleneck. I start
several times 'svmon' and observe that the shared memory segmends (work
shmat/mmap) increases. So I opened a call by IBM and they says that we must
install some fixes.
Additionally they said that we can set a environment
MALLOCTYPE=3.1
But the support can't me explain exactly what this means.
Can one explain to me exactly, what that is (MALLOCTYPE)? And what changes
when I set it to '3.1'.

Best regards,
Frank Mueller