Re: [Q] need info relate to RS/6000 and ORACEL?

From: Bill Thompson (wht@NEO.RR.COM)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 11:47:33 EDT

L,

Whenever you ask a question like this you're liable to see a number of
passionate answers. People tend to like the flavor of UNIX they were first
exposed to. Not a bad thing, just difficult to get unbiased input.

I think you'll find you'll be able to run Oracle equally as well on any of
the big three AIX, HP-UX, or Solaris (in alphabetical order). We currently
run Oracle on all three platforms and guess what - It runs on all three!

You'll see some minor differences in Oracle administration but the bottom
line is you're business will run just fine.

So why pick one vendor over another? Most of the time it is some higher up
that makes that decision based on whatever facts they wish to apply or
ignore.

- - - - - - - - - -
The following has been from my experience with all three vendors. This is my
personal experience - your mileage may vary...

I've found the IBM machines are the most cost effective of the three. For
equivalent horsepower they are generally less expensive to purchase. They
tend to run cooler (especially when compared to HP systems) which means your
facilities costs go down.

I'd give IBM and SUN a tie in hardware reliability with HP a somewhat
distant third.

I'd give all three kudos on support with not enough differences to note
(although HP's support seems to be a bit pricey).

All three flavors are pretty equally reliable from an OS standpoint. I've
had system panics on all three systems, but not enough to favor one over the
other.

I prefer AIX from an administration standpoint for far to many reasons to
list here, but this is generally seen as a personal preference and is not
usually taken into consideration when deciding which vendor to purchase from
(why would management care how easy or difficult the systems are to take
care of :-)
- - - - - - - - - -

One benefit for you personally is learning another flavor of UNIX.
Knowledgeable in both Solaris and AIX always looks good on the resume and
makes you worth more as an administrator.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2