Re: HACMP Question

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 10:58:07 EDT

The serial network is there for a very good reason: to prevent unwanted
takeovers in the event of a network failure.

Although it is not required for HACMP, IBM strongly recommend that you have
one. It doesn't have to be RS232, though. If your sites are not too far
apart you might consider using Target Mode SSA, and an SSA loop with optical
extenders, (which is good for something like 10km, I think).

The need for a serial network is described in the planning guide, or the
Installation and Admin Guide for HACMP/ES.

If you're not able to have a serial network, then you should have at least
two completely separate networks, with no shared components. It would be
nice to have different types of network, (e.g. Ethernet and Token Ring), so
that you're protected from any problems in the drivers.

I won't say that you shouldn't do this, but you need to be careful about it.
I would think that the chances of a network failure over a relatively long
distance are greater than with local servers, which would tend to make a
serial network more important than usual. Pay particular attention to
removing single points of failure from your networks.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe