Re: What about GPFS

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 06:15:05 EDT

I'm pretty sure that GPFS is overkill for your situation.

It was originally an SP2 thing, and required the HiP or SP Switch. More
recent versions will also run over other high-performance networks and it's
no longer restricted to SP2.

The idea was that if you had a sufficiently fast network, you could split
your I/O over multiple nodes, taking advantage of the I/O bandwidth of each
of them. It's not really intended simply for sharing data between nodes,
but for applications running in parallel on multiple nodes, with high I/O
requirements. It's also a separate, chargeable product.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe