Re: HACMP Cluster and Shared File System

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 10:57:55 EDT

It's not technically difficult to set up concurrent access; what's difficult
is managing the locking. That's usually an application issue, not something
you could handle simply within the operating system. (I confess I haven't
had much experience with this since my MVS days, but the principles and
problems are the same whatever the platform.)

I'm not sure of the relevance, anyway: how does a single archive filesystem
make things easier than one for each instance?

Since Oracle has a facility to write to a remote server, I'd use that. It
could also address a Disaster Recovery issue, ensuring you're able to
recover recent data. (Remember that if you're archiving to tape, unless
that tape is at a remote site you should assume it's lost with the rest of
the site when the meteorite hits.) Usually better to go with standard
features as well, rather than invent your own.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe