Re: SUMMARY:AIX 5.1L upgrade

From: AIX geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 11:13:55 EDT

Still, Dave has a good point to take into account all
the software. There are a LOT of software vendors who
really want to you to stay closely aligned with a
certain maintenance level, because they haven't tested
their software on higher levels. I can think of
several examples.

I know of cases where support was not forthcoming
(whether or not that's the correct approach is a
different argument) because the maintenance level on
the client's machine was "higher" than what was
"called for".

Yes, that's probably a bad practice on the case of the
software developer, but ... people's businesses run on
the software. The OS is really a secondary
consideration.