Re: AIX 5L network availability

From: Darryl Ousterhout (D.Ousterhout@LABSAFETY.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 09:17:48 EDT

I just finished up with a couple adapters running backup mode. The RedBook
(5L differences) is a little grey on this instruction.

For both adapters on the system:

Remove all en0 and en1 interfaces

ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 detach
rmdev -dl en0
rmdev -dl ent0
rmdev -dl et0

cfgmgr -v

After cfgmgr check to see if the adapters are 'available' again, 'lsdev -Cc
adapter'.

I used 'smitty etherchannel' for the rest of the configuration. Choose ent0
and ent1 to make up your etherchannel (the redbook describes the fields on
page 364). This will show up as en2. Without any configuration to en0 or
en1, set up en2 as you normally would a regular network adress. 'smitty
tcpip' minimum configuration. I tested this yesterday and the failover works
perfectly. One adapter will will sit waiting for the other to fail and take
over after the times you set in the etherchannel setup. Mine came back after
about a minute.

HTH,
Darryl

Message-----