Re: Login Threshold ?

From: Mike Whorley (Mike.Whorley@CODA.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 08:47:23 EDT

From: Bill Verzal [mailto:Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM]
Sent: 12 September 2002 14:02
To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
Subject: Re: Login Threshold ?

                    Discussion List"
                    <aix-l@Princeton.E

                    09/12/2002 06:06
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "IBM AIX
                    Discussion List"

Mike,

This has been discussed many times on this list. The archives (see link
below) are a great knowledge resource.

Basically is sounds like your number of fixed licenses is too low.

Run the command "lslicense" to see what the number is set to.

If this is the problem you can increase it with "chlicense -u num" (see the
man page for chlicense). You'll have to reboot for the change to take
effect.

For a little background as to why this variable exists - Some flavors of
UNIX charge different prices for their OS depending on how many concurrent
users are logged on. IBM put this in place so they could do the same thing
if they ever so desired. Fortunately they never decided to go down that
road. Bottom line is you can increase this number to anything you want
without violating any license agreement. This number is set to 64 on most
of my AIX machines however it's been increased to 512 on a couple of high
traffic servers.

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2