Re: Memory Leak

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust (janfrode@PARALLAB.UIB.NO)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 02:27:25 EDT

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 03:40:17PM -0500, Page, Jennifer wrote:
> Upgraded AIX 4.3.3 to ML10 and have had a system crash due to low paging space.
>
> Looking more closely at the issue (and tripling the paging space) we notice the database process is chewing up paging space but not releasing it.
>
> Has anyone else experienced memory/paging space issues with ML10?
> Any suggestions places to look?

I'm not familiar with AIX4, but have seen problems with low paging
space probably caused by problems with the page cache on AIX5L.
90% of the memory was used for page cache, and the machine was swapping
because other processes started using more than the 10% left.

Check out 'vmtune' numperm when you see this problem. If
numperm>maxperm and your machine is pageing, it's probably the same
problem as we had.

At first we set down maxperm to 40%, hit the problem again, and then
we set it down to 10% and also turned on strict_maxperm on some of the
nodes.

# grep vmtune /etc/inittab
vmtune:2:once:/usr/samples/kernel/vmtune -R 1024 -p 5 -P 10 -t 10 -F 2048 -f 1024 >/dev/null 2>&1

  -jf