Antwort: chvg -t on active VG

From: fmu@OERAG.DE
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 11:10:12 EDT

Hi *,
      the LVM Meta Data are the VGDA, VGSA and so on. When you change your
volumegroup with the parameter -t, you will change this Meta Data.
I think that you must always do a unmount and varyoffvg from the volume
group so that you ensure integrity of volume groups. I think that one
background is: if the command failed you get problems to varyoffvg /
varyonvg from the volumegroup (for example it changed the maximum from
disks and perhaps the necessary value for quorum).
But I'm not sure ; - )

ciao,
Frank Mueller

There's a note in the chvg man entry for the -t option (note 6) that in
some
circumstances the LVM meta data will need to be modified and the LVs must
be
closed.

Can anyone tell me what those circumstances are, so that I can decide
whether it is safe to run this command on a particular VG?

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe