Re: LANSafe III with Powerware UPS under AIX

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 17:37:31 EDT

I am running it without issue on H70's with AIX 4.3.2.

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                    Steven.Calvert@RS
                    6000.CO.UK To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    Sent by: IBM AIX cc:
                    Discussion List Subject: LANSafe III with Powerware UPS under AIX
                    <aix-l@Princeton.

                    09/04/2002 10:24
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    IBM AIX
                    Discussion List

Hello all,

We seem to be having issues with LANSafe III running with Powerware UPS
(models 5515 and 5125, 9910-P33 in IBMese) under AIX versions 4.3.3 and
5.1.0. Hopefully some kind soul out there might be able to help with this,
as neither IBM or Powerware are being entirely prompt with a solution to
this.

The problem we're seeing, appears to be an issue with the ls3 daemon
talking with the ls3con client. When using the console program to configure
and view the UPS, instead of getting the menu options we instead see the
following;

# /usr/ls3/ls3&
[1] 11684
# /usr/ls3/ls3con

Please enter the Access Code for the Power Monitor.

Accessing Power Monitor
Message timed out!
Message timed out!
The LanSafe III Power Monitor (ls3) is not running.
Run the daemon by typing ./ls3&
# ps -ef | grep ls3
    root 9656 11482 4 18:02:32 pts/2 0:00 grep ls3
    root 11684 11482 1 18:00:03 pts/2 0:00 /usr/ls3/ls3

And yet the daemon is still running, as shown by the ps command above.

The environment is fairly basic, as these are brand new IBM systems with
default AIX 4.3.3 or 5.10 preloads on them, running the latest version of
LANSafe III 4.17.1a downloaded from the website. The UPS cable used is the
one supplied with the UPS, with no gender-changers or extension cables. The
UPS is being connected via the serial cable to one of the onboard serial
ports at the back of the system. (6F1 and 6H1s) TTY files have been
associated with these ports, with default settings of 9600 baud, 8/1 bits,
and no parity, with disabled login.

I've got this running before on one system I unfortunately no longer have
access to, but after three days of trying you can no longer be certain of
what you actually did to get it work in the first place! Therefore has
anyone seen this problem before and resolved it, or is running LS3 without
issue, or simply has another application they're using to monitor their
Powerware UPS? I know there's Onlinet but that's now dependant on X-Windows
and we're after something which will just run on the ASCII terminal
locally.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Steven Calvert
Consultant, IBM Technical
Taurus Infomatics Limited

www.taurus-infomatics.co.uk

Address: PO Box 5416, Nottingham. NG9 6PN