Re: AIX/HACMP Administrators w/Oracle DBs - Lend me your ear- ple ase <<<<<<<<<<<

From: Ferenc Gyurcsan (fgyurcsa@AVAILANT.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 18:03:56 EDT

Just to answer a couple of your questions. I have to rush...

>Question 1:
>Would a HACMP environment be advisable instead of our home-brew "warmspare"
>environment.
I would hope so. Even if you consider that you would be buying it versus
having somebody in house develop it. What is worth more...spending money on
the licence, but then you can be sure that IBM tested that your failover
will be successful, OR saving on the licence, but then you have to pay
people to develop (and maintain) it, and you would be _hoping_ that it does
fall over successfuly in the middle of the night.
There are a lot of things that may go wrong when you install a new hardware,
upgrade AIX, etc. These things are all tested with HACMP before the release.
You should still test that you set up your cluster correctly with HACMP, but
it will involve MUCH less testing.
You could also take a look at the features HACMP provides.

But again, this is up to your requirements.

>Question 2:
>When using HACMP w/Oracle, when HACMP switches, does the "new" Production
>server change its hostname, etc.?
It is not automatic (because it may very easily not be the expected behavior
for other cases), but you can very easily reach this behavior. There may
even be some customization scripts somewhere on the net that will do it for
you, but at any rate, it's not hard to do.

--Ferenc