Re: Tar Tape Restore

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 11:04:30 EDT

With tar, this can be difficult, depending on how it was created.

Do a tar -tf /dev/rmt0. If they're backed up as "./user/version5/..." (more
usual) then it's a relative file name. If you run the command from /tmp,
files will be restored to /tmp/user/version5.

If it shows files backed up as "/user/version5/...", then that's where
they'll be restored, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You may be able to do this with the pax command, though. Try...
pax -rf/dev/rmt0 -s/version5/new_version5/

That will restore everything into "/user/version5/...". If you want it
somewhere else, it's not too difficult to specify. (The default delimiter
is "/", but you can use any character you like. Check the man page, of
course.)

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe