Re: Copying files from AIX SAMBA 2.07 in Win9x

From: Tom Syroid (tom@SYROIDMANOR.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 12:56:55 EDT

Jon,

Personally, I always compile from source (www.samba.org). If you need a
precompiled binary, and you have the AIX Linux Toolbox installed, try:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html
(Unfortunately, this site is only at 2.2.3a at present, which is one of the
reason I use source -- this way I can always get the best release based on
need/features/bug-fixes).

The UCLA website has 2.2.4:

http://pdslib4aix.seas.ucla.edu/new-all.html (this is the page for AIX 5L;
follow the hyperlinks for 4.3.3 stuff).

And then there's the Bull Freeware site:

http://ftp.rge.com/pub/systems/aix/bull/

Unfortunately, it too lists 2.2.3a as the latest release available.

I work with Samba fairly extensively, and personally I'd recommend option A
if feasible: that is, building 2.2.5 from source. There's some faily
extensive changes relating to Win2K/XP issues (sharing and printing) that
remove a great deal of "head scratching / debugging" from earlier releases.

Best,
/tom

--On Wednesday, August 21, 2002 5:14 PM +0100 Jonathan Portman