Re: Maximum group number

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 08:46:52 EDT

With my experience in Kernel design of AIX, the header file editing is not
recommended on dynamic kernels such as risc/6000' from aix 2.1 and below
with the status kernel you could do that but not aix 3.0 up, (it's not
recommended anyway). Below is the procedure to add as many users/groups as
you need:

1. Create a new directory somewhere, and copy the /etc/group file into
that directory.

2. Run:

     cat group | sed -n '/staff/p' > staff
     cat group | sed '/staff/d' > newgroup

These commands will create 2 files, newgroup with all group info except
the staff line, and staff, with only the staff line.

3. Run:

     split -b 2000 staff

This will split the staff line into 2000 byte files, and name them xaa,
xab, xac, etc.

4. Vi each of these files (xaa, xab). After the first one (xaa), you
will need to add the group name and id to the beginning, which is:

     staff1:!:1:<userids>

You will also need to look at the last userid listed, as the split
command may have put part of it in one file, and the rest in the next
file. You
will need to combine these parts into one file. The group line should
end with a userid, and not a comma.

5. When each file has been edited, and have different group names
(staff, staff1, staff2, etc.) with the same groupid, run the following
to add to
the new group file:

     cat xaa >> newgroup
     cat xab >> newgroup

This will add each line separately to the end of the group file. The
order in which they occur in the group file doesn't matter.

The newgroup file is complete at this point, and can be used to replace
the /etc/group file. It would also be a good idea to keep a backup copy
of the old group file for a while.

--Justin

                      Dave.Zarnoch@SUNG
                      ARD.COM To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      Sent by: IBM AIX cc:
                      Discussion List Subject: Re: Maximum group number
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      08/20/2002 08:17
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Sandor,

Thanks for correcting me....

You're right, I think the reason has something to do with standards

It doesn't look like a good idea to change this.....

Dave Zarnoch
UNIX Systems Administration
SunGard eSourcing
600 Laurel Oak Rd.
Voorhees, NJ 08043
Dave.Zarnoch@sungard.com

                      "Sandor W. Sklar"
                      <ssklar@STANFORD. To:
                      aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      EDU> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: Maximum group
                      number
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      08/19/2002 06:02
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 01:01 PM, Michelle DeVault wrote:

> Are there any adverse consequences to increasing this
> number? Do I increase it on the nfs server or client?

If you change it in that include file, the value will only be changed
in applications that you subsequently compile that use that file. It
won't do you any good for applications that are already compiled; also,
there probably is a real reason why that number is 64; I doubt it is
arbitrary.

In short, changing the value of NGROUPS_MAX in /usr/include/grp.h will
not have the desired effect, and will probably break things that you
may compile in the future.

-s-