Re: rootvg in odm on hdisk0, in maintenance mode on hdisk1. Wrong odm? [Virus checked]

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 15:15:54 EDT

Simon got it right.
We use to have this problem a lot. You can leave it this way, but it drove me crazy, so I would change the SCSI ID so that the disk I
wanted to be hdisk0 was always the lowest SCSI id of all the other SCSI drives on that SCSI card/bus.
 Also, if you had more than one SCSI card/bus, it is possible to have the boot disk as the lowest/first SCSI disk on the bus, only to
find out at update time that it was not on the fist SCSI card/bus. Then, "hdisk0" is now some other disk in first place on some other
bus !@#$%

So, if you can do it, this is a very good time to correct the hardware so that the present boot disk is and always will be "hdisk0".

(This can also bite you if you boot up in Maintenance mode, via CD's or NIM, and they are not in the order you wanted!! Once had a
admin format the wrong disk. Lost a whole oracle database because he took out one of the stripped drives of an active VG rather than
cleaning up a unused disk going back to a leasing company... Ouch)

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      "Green, Simon"
                      <Simon.Green@EU. To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      ALTRIA.COM> cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: rootvg in odm on hdisk0, in maintenance mode on hdisk1. Wrong odm? [Virus checked]
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      05/18/04 12:41
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Whenever you're doing installations or migrations it's a good idea to work
with the physical address of the rootvg disk(s).

In your case, that's 10-60-00-9,0 and 10-60-00-8,0.
When the system does it's device discovery, which it does afresh for a
migration, it will find ~8,0 first and so that will get called hdisk0. At
this point, the ODM is not available.

I guess that at some point in the past you've added or replaced a disk in
this system, so originally ~-9,0 was the first disk in the system.

You should be safe to continue, using hdisk1 (~-9,0, which is the important
thing). Afterwards, I'm not sure whether it will continue to appear as
hdisk1 or will then be seen as hdisk0, when the ODM is available again.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.

<SNIP>