Re: kingston memory

From: Aaron W Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 15:12:11 EDT

Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I consider buying memory from kingston instead of IBM, at least for
> test/integration systems. Mostly p630/p650.
>
> Does anybody have experiences to share? Kingston or other manufacturers.
>
> Thank you and regards,
>
> Holger

This is from a post a year and a half ago about IBM support and 3rd
party memory:

"IBM will not, in any way, support third party memory. IBM will not do
an MES's install at no cost to the customer, this means that if the
customer purchases third party memory on a non-csu box IBM will not
install as part of the cost of the memory. There will be no warranty
from IBM on the memory. Finally, if the customer ever calls IBM for a
service call and the IBM CE can show that the problem with the box has
anything to do with the third party memory customer will be billed for
CE time."

...and when asked what IBM does about any sort of 3rd party hardware...

"You are correct. Anytime third party hardware is put into an IBM
RS/6000 or pSeries machine and and IBM CE determines that the failing
component is the third party hardware the CE will be the customer for
his/her time. "

So apparently if a CE is called out and finds out that the 3rd party
hardware is what broke, you'll be billed, and it sounds to me like that
will be regardless of any IBM support contracts. They are apparently
rather sticky on this point...
<<

Just an FYI