Dead FTP connections filling up wtmp

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 07:16:19 EDT

On one of my servers, (AIX 4.3.3.0_08), wtmp keeps growing and filling up
/var. About every six seconds there's a new entry in there for an FTP
connection.

On the server, there are lots (12 at the moment) of ftpd instances running:
some of them fairly old. (Not very old, because the server was booted a
couple of days ago.) On the servers that the FTP connections supposedly
come from there are no ftp processes at all.

I assume that something has happened at the remote end, where the ftp
sessions were started, and ftp was stopped without terminating the session
correctly.

Has anybody had any similar experience?
Is there anything I can do to get more information which might be useful in
finding out exactly what has happened here?

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
<https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html>
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
<http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX>
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.