Re: Multiple NIC's

From: Yves Dorfsman (yves@ZIOUP.COM)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 16:43:29 EDT

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Ignacio Vidal wrote:

> That's OK.
> I was asked about multiple nic's within the same (sub)network address range.
> That server is not under my administration, and I don't know exactly why it is required to put more than one nic on the same subnet.
> I think that if hacmp is going to be used, then there's no problem: hacmp manages network adapters (active/standby).
> If they are going to use etherchannel perhaps it could be solved in other way (multiple nic's - same IP).
> Sorry, I don't know "the why"...

Thenanother thing:

If they are trying to do a failover, then they should look into Network
Interface Backup (It is documented under Etherchannel even though you
don't need to create a real Etherchannel). It won't exactly be on the same
subnet, since only one card will be active at any point in time, and it
will always be the same ip address anyway.

Yves.

----
Yves Dorfsman                                             yves@zioup.com
                                         http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~dorfsmay