Re: Filename conversion to uppercase

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 07:40:32 EDT

Thanks for that Bill: very interesting. I knew that spawning a new shell
was resource intensive but that really brings it home.

On a similar note, it's worth avoiding un-necessary greps when you can: I
often see commands/scripts which have one grep piping directly into another.
This can often be avoided by using a more complicated grep, or even
something like awk: maybe even perl. The added overhead of the more
complicated command is less than that of spawning another shell in most
cases.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.

<SNIP>