Re: Correct procedure for restoring system image data

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 15:45:11 EDT

Marcelino,

Don't know why it is doing what it is doing, but since you are back to square-one, may I ask a few questions and make a few
observations:

1) You can go from AIX 4.3.3 ML9 directly to AIX 5.1. No need (that I am aware of) to go to ML11 in the interim.

2) If you can connect both the 4.5 GB and the 9.1 GB drive at the same time, you then only need to mirror to the 9.1 then break the
mirror to have your OS drive be the 9.1 GB

3) We have AIX 5.1 and AIX 5.2 on systems with only a single 4.5 GB drive. If it is only the rootvg and it is only the OS, it should
fit.

4) Why not use "mksysb" and then clone it back onto the system after you swap drives? (Assuming you can't do #2 above.)

5) You would be very wise to have all other VG's varied-off / exported and even have the drives off or disconnected so that you don't
screw those up.

I am guessing that sysbackup restore is only trying to make the VG definitions in the rootvg / system area and thus will not hurt
other VG's, but I would NOT have the other VG's live or connected when I was doing this.

Hope that helped,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      Marcelino Mata
                      <mmata@MULTIMATI To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      C.COM> cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Correct procedure for restoring system image data
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      04/27/04 03:01
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

I am making preparation to move from AIX 4.3.3ML9 to ML11 then AIX 5.1. As
I need to perform upgrades, I do not have enough disk space on the current
4.5Gb O/S disks. I was planning on replacing the 4.5Gb disks with 9.1Gb
disks. I was going to just use the user friendly program Sysbackup to
accomplish this. I made a system image of the rootvg ONLY and replaced the
disks. Everything was going fine during the restore until it informed me
that a volume group was missing and it wanted to know if sysbackup restore
should create or delete it. The volume group is a 270GB RAID volume which
are still present in the system but I do not want touched by sysbackup
restore. My guess would be to select the create option and then it will
continue. As I can not afford to lose time due to errors I did nothing (put
the old disks back in) until I get clarification on what it was actually
going to do next. If I select "create", will it continue the restore
without me assigning any filesystem to it or will it force me to assign
something to it before continuing?

TIA,

Marcelino