Hanging system

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 15:56:24 EDT

Folks,

I have a 44P-170 (AIX 433) that just this week has been dragging. The user is doing code development on it and cannot get a make done
in less that 1 hour. (The same make takes less that 5 minutes on a similar box and on this box two weeks ago.)

Seems like anything that touches/interacts with NFS filesystems off of one of our three NFS servers is extremely slow.

While he is running these compilations or anything else that takes a little resources, all other windows/commands freeze and an
"iostat 1" shows "% iowait" jumping up to nearly 100%. When I run monitor or topas while he is compiling, I see that some activity
happens, then a 1-5 minute pause where iowait jumps to 100%, then a few seconds of normal activity, then back to 100% iowait.

No errors in errpt.
No errors in diag
Can ping the NFS servers just fine
Don't see anything obvious in iostat, nfsstat or netstat
Other clients that mount the same filesystems off the same NFS servers - No problem
Paging space is fine.

BUT:

Try to cp files from /tmp to an NFS filesystem .... Hangs sometimes
Try running "ls -laF" against one of the NFS directories .... Hangs sometimes, sometimes not.
I have rebooted the box two times. Noted that the reboot never finishes... Have to hit the white or yellow button

Any thoughts would be great.

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.