Send these escape codes to a Printronix P5000 series line printer

From: Vipin Khushu - SuSe (vkhushu@GUERNSEYOP.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 16:22:50 EDT

Admins / Sys Architects:

I have attached a file that contains a binary escape character followed by ASCII text which when sent to a printronix P5210 (will work with any P5000 series printer for that matter) produces barcodes on the printer.

*Note: The file assumes Line Printer+ protocol using Epson FX emulation.

I also have a file that is designed for printers using P-series emulation if you require it.

My problem is thus:

When I send this file to the printer, all I get is the characters UPC-E which indicates that the printer is not correctly interpreting the escape code that immediately follows those characters. So for example, the hex equivalent to the escape code for code 39 is 1B and if the printer was correctly interpreting the escape, it would print 1234567890 in the form of a bar code (code 39).

Note that I can copy the file to the printer through LPT1 on a windows machine from dos and successfully print bar codes thus:

copy /B lpssbc1B.txt lpt1:

The /B switch indicates binary file.

What AIX command should I use that will transfer this file with its binary escape characters intact so that the printer will correctly interpret the information?

TIA

Vipin-

703-788 3279