Re: Mirroring rootvg with the mirrorvg command

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 10:45:22 EDT

The "sysdumpdev -e" command gives you an estimate of the size of a dump. I
have found that this estimate tends to increase over time; presumably as
more stuff gets loaded into memory. So wait until your system has been
running for a week or so, and be a bit generous with your allocation. If
possible, be VERY generous with the allocation, as if it's wrong you may end
up with an incomplete dump. Allocating a dump device equal in size to real
memory assures you of getting a complete dump, but that could be a bit
excessive these days, with systems having many GB of memory. On the other
hand, disks are bigger and cheaper.

I like to use /dev/hd7, which used to be the dump device in old versions of
AIX; it's not likely to be used for anything else and it's easy to
remember/recognise. However, it doesn't really matter what you call it.

A compromise might be to use a paging space other than hd6, but set it not
to activate at boot. That way you're not "wasting" space and if a dump has
been taken to it it doesn't get overwritten, but you have to remember to
activate it manually after a reboot.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe