Re: Paging space question

From: Bill Verzal (Bill_Verzal@BCBSIL.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 08:48:29 EDT

So IBM's statement is more of a "performance" consideration, versus a
"limitation". Or so it would appear.

Thanks, Bill.

Bill Verzal
Technical Consultant
Forbes Technical Consulting
(312) 653-3684
bill_verzal@bcbsil.com
MailStop: 27.201C

                    Jeff Barratt
                    <jbarratt@COMP To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                    SAT.COM> cc:
                    Sent by: IBM Subject: Re: Paging space question
                    AIX Discussion
                    List
                    <aix-l@Princet
                    on.EDU>

                    07/24/2002
                    06:27 AM
                    Please respond
                    to IBM AIX
                    Discussion
                    List

I do not believe this is true(although I believe it was at one time):

here is a test scenario I have created:

# lsps -a
Page Space Physical Volume Volume Group Size %Used Active Auto
Type
paging00 hdisk0 rootvg 8MB 20 yes yes
lv
hd6 hdisk1 rootvg 32MB 1 yes yes
lv
paging02 hdisk1 rootvg 128MB 39 yes yes
lv
paging01 hdisk4 veritasvg 2048MB 3 yes yes
lv

as paging00 is the smallest paging space, no other paging space should use
more than 8MB.

paging02 is using 39% of 128MB which is roughly 50MB. which is greater than
either paging00 or hd6.

paging01 is using 3% of 2048MB which is roughly 61MB. which is greater than
either paging00, hd6, or paging02.

I think this concept (along with the set paging space to 2X RAM, or any
other bizarre allocation based on physical memory size) is no longer
applicable