Re: resetting RJ45 cable clears network issue after reboot

From: justin.bleistein@SUNGARD.COM
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:19:23 EDT

A few things you may want to try:

1.) lsdev -Cc adapter | grep -i enX <ENTER> "See if your adapter is coming
up "available" on system reboot.
2.) Check your "/etc/rc.net" file to see if the file access permission are
set right and that the proper device configurations aren't commented out.
3.) Check your "/etc/rc.tcpip" file to see if the "inetd" network services
are not commented out and are set to restart on system reboot.
4.) Check your "/etc/inittab" to see if there's any weird scripts or
commands which could be causing this.
5.) Check "errpt" to see if AIX has detected something.
6.) Check your alog on "boot" to see if something failed on system boot.

Then again this could be a weird cisco problem. I'm not a cisco guy so
that's as far as I can go on that. I hope you find a resolution. thanks!

                      Chris Black
                      <cblack@GLOBAL-MA To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      TRIX.COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: resetting RJ45 cable clears network issue after reboot
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      07/16/2002 09:10
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

We have been looking into a strange problem with RS/6000 servers of various
models, all running 4.3.3-07. The servers reboot via CRON each night, and
occassionally we have a server unpingable, no telnet etc, until we simply
pull the ethernet cable out and put it right back. The ethernet is
comprised of Cisco switches.

Looking for answers.