indirect inode limitation

From: Taylor, David (DTaylor@WBMI.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 14:00:46 EDT

We recently ran into a situation, while reading the contents of several
optical platters back into magnetic cache, where we were unable to create
files larger than 32K, within this particular file-system. -- anything
larger than 32K was truncated to 32K and an error message was displayed.

I was informed by IBM that we had, essentially, exceeded a limitation of the
file-system. (which I found disturbing - not to mention the fact that the
O/S allowed me to continue to corrupt the file-system)

Even though I plan on applying the recommended fix (which doesn't seem like
a fix - merely increasing the finite number of files >32K that can be
created between reboots), does anyone know how I can monitor to prevent this
in the future?

I would hate to have to schedule regular-reboots for servers with high
file-system traffic.

Has anyone else run into this?

>From the APAR: (IY13763)
Since the beginning of AIX there has been a single 256MB .indirect
virtual memory segment that is used to cache indirect inodes.
.
When you are copying many files that are greater than 32,768 bytes,
this 256MB .indirect segment fills up, and you get the ENOMEM error
and truncation of files. A reboot will clear out the cache, but
when/if the cache fills up you would see the problem return.
.
The APAR IY13763 allows you to use 8 256MB .indirect segments
for inode caching, IF you use "mount -o mind /filesystemname".

David

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com