Re: Tomcat on AIX

From: Drew (apt@DCS-SUCCESS.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 13:44:33 EDT

We just assigned a couple of developers to a project to build a GUI from end
for a Cobol application and we are using Jakarta/Tomcat. We are still in the
very beginning stages, testing every step of the way.

Keep one thing in mind. Jakarta (or Tomcat) is great for serving JSP and
Java Servlets. If you only have a few users connecting, there will be no
problem, but Jakarta does not have a full scale web server in it. That is
what you use the Apache mod for. You will configure Apache to process all
incoming and outgoing requests and Jakarta just serves up the JSP/ Java
Servlets for Apache. Apache will Handle all the actual I/O between the
server and the client. Jakarta does come with a light web server to get you
going though, again more hten sufficient if you are only supporting a small
number of users So far it is really holding up well for us.

For anyone who is interested we are using Microfocus Cobol which now
supports integrating Java with your Cobol application. They actually supply
you with a single run-time that will allow you to use both together. It's
really cool.

As far as fully supported, what do you mean? If it's not working can you
make a phone call and get someone on the other end to help you
install/configure/troubleshoot it? Super highly unlikely. It is free
software. If you want that kind of support you'll have to consider paying
for IBM's WebSphere, Oracles J-server or some similar product. As far as
"does it work on IBM"? Well, you'll have to find out if it works for you. So
far it is working for us and we are going ahead with it. Remember, it is
open, free software.

Hope this helps,

Drew