Re: P620 memory/tape drive configuration

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 11:36:35 EDT

I forgot about your tape drive question earlier.

I've had some problems with 4mm tape drives, and a contact at a DR provider
advised me that they produce more problems when restoring than other tapes.

My personal preference in the past has been DLT, but LTO might be
appropriate now. Both of these are fast and reliable; the tapes are
extremely durable. Obviously if you're backing up significant amounts of
data you may want something more sophisticated than a single tape drive;
something with an autoloader, at least.

However, I have found in the past that when sending information to IBM -
e.g. snap output, or a system dump - they will only accept it in a limited
number of formats, which last time I tried it did NOT include DLT! (I think
it was 4mm, 8mm, (but the 5GB drives, nothing fancier) or CD; plus a couple
of bizarre old tape formats.) This may have changed now but it's worth
making sure that you have at least one suitable device on site.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe

<SNIP>