Re: Screwed Up System

From: Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 16:40:49 EDT

> Do I dare simply mount those Amanda backups and do a full "restore" of
> everything ("/", "/usr", "/var", "/tmp")? Would I not end up
> kicking my
> own legs out from underneath me if I try that in 'normal' mode?
yes, it will crash as soon as libc etc. is overwritten

> Do I need to boot off AIX media into maintenance mode,
> varyonvg the rootvg
> and restore that way?
yes. I cant tell you how to restore with amanda, though.

> If so, how best to do? Won't that be
> messy too?
booting to m-mode + importing rootvg is quite simple; but depends on your hardware.
normally: insert cd, wait for "memory keyboard" and press 5 or f5

> (BY THE WAY) = The IBM repair man MAY HAVE installed new
> parts (drive,
> motherboard, etc) that need a ML level higher than what was
> on it.... So, I
> might have to squeeze an update_all of ML06 or higher to be complete?
ML06 is very stable... so is ML08,09,10
just check if everything works and install what you need. I would not worry much here.
cfgmgr can install (nearly) everything automatically