Screwed Up System

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 16:29:36 EDT

Bare with me, this will take a little explaining.

In a department that only has one RS/6000 the following happened and I
could use some advise to fix it.

The RS/6k was being backed up over the network using Amanda, which is NOT
in mksysb format, rather just a UNIX backup sent across the network and
placed on tapes. Last week they lost one of the two rootvg 18 Gb disk
drives. It was replaced, a basic AIX 4.3.3 was installed from CD and the
admin restored the users personal data.

Now, the user has come to me for help: He had a lot of things that are
lost. Of course system config files (passwd, group, qconfig, etc.). But
also installp products such as compilers, etc.

Do I dare simply mount those Amanda backups and do a full "restore" of
everything ("/", "/usr", "/var", "/tmp")? Would I not end up kicking my
own legs out from underneath me if I try that in 'normal' mode?

Do I need to boot off AIX media into maintenance mode, varyonvg the rootvg
and restore that way? If so, how best to do? Won't that be messy too?

Wish it was a mksysb instead, than could just NIM it onto the box.

(BY THE WAY) = The IBM repair man MAY HAVE installed new parts (drive,
motherboard, etc) that need a ML level higher than what was on it.... So, I
might have to squeeze an update_all of ML06 or higher to be complete?
Again, a good reason to NIM a mksysb on where updates and drivers can be
'cloned' in.

Any help would be great.

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.