Re: Problems with paging space

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 12:33:05 EDT

I think it might be better for you to have multiple paging spaces. If
you're not doing any paging, it doesn't really matter what you do. However,
the fact that you're using 25% of the space suggest that you DO page a
little bit. Using multiple physical disks spreads the load.

But you must decide; maybe you only page occasionally, and it's not worth
the trouble of maintaining multiple spaces.

In answer to your other question, mirroring the paging spaces improves
availability.

If you have a mirrored hd6, on hdisk0 and hdisk1, (assuming they're both
rootvg) then if you lose one of those disks the system will keep running.
If you have two separate, unmirrored disks then failure of either disk will
cause a crash as soon as the system tries to access the paging space on that
disk. (If you're not doing any paging the system can keep going for quite a
while, but it'll die eventually.) If you're going to mirror any volume
group, then you should mirror all paging spaces in it.

Simon Green
Senior Technical Analyst
UNIX and AS400 Services

Philip Morris ITSC-E