Re: NIM and SP2 Environment

From: Green, Simon (SGreen@KRAFTEUROPE.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 12:23:05 EDT

For the SP2, as always you should refer to the Installation and Migration
Guide. This may prove useful for the "normal" NIM as well.

What I've done in the past is simply to put the new filesets into
aix433/lppsource, leaving the existing ones there. (Remember to do an
inutoc.) Once all the updates have been done - assuming you're just
applying maintenance with and update_all, rather than migrating or
re-installing - and you're happy with things, apply the maintenance to the
SPOT as well.

In theory, you can create a new ML10 lppsource. For the SP2, you'll need to
create a new parent directory; something like
/spdata/sys1/install/aix433_10. New lppsource and SPOT under that. The
lppsource will need all of the base-level filesets in it.

Unless you have an ongoing need to support ML09 and ML10 in parallel, I
wouldn't bother doing this or trying to clean things out.

Another thing I've done in the past is to create a maintenance subdirectory.
e.g. /spdata/sys1/install/aix433/ML10. You can do your maintenance from
this, then once all of your nodes are updated copy the filesets to
lppsource, (inutoc), and update the SPOT.

Simon Green
Philip Morris ITSC Europe