4.3 install on E20 (again)

From: Fletcher, Joe (joe.fletcher@METAPACK.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 12:27:56 EDT

Hi All,

Didn't get much in the way of feedback on the original post so I'm trying
again.

I'm attempting to install AIX 4.3.3 on an E20. I#'m using a DEC VT510 as a
console device connected to serial port1 (8,1,n, XON/XOFF). I'm choosing a
clean install from the 4.3 media. The only other customisations are for
British English locale. The installation appears to run without error. Once
the system restarts I get the copyright banner and a prompt saying "Console
login:" If I enter root as a username I'm expecting it to log in
automatically to allow further customisation and setup. Instead it returns
with another prompt saying "login:" Entering the root username again just
returns to the prompt once more ad infinitum.

I've tried rebooting off the install media and opened a maintenance shell to
attempt to customise the system sufficiently to get a login. So far I've
applied the patch kits, added extra software subsets, modified the root
account to have a password, added extra accounts but all fail.
I can't see anything in the log files to indicate a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what is failing? Are there any known problems
running 4.3.3 on an E20 system?

All sugestions gratefully received.

TIA

Joe