[HPADM] SUMMARY: UPS for C3700

From: Jim Turner (jim.turner@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 13:21:02 EST

Thanks and well wishes to:
Chuck Reinke
Bill Hassell
Corne Beerse

The UPS daemon that ships with HP-UX (ups_mond) is largely useless unless
you actually have a genuine HP PowerTrust UPS (Manufactured by Sola). My
quest does have a happy ending, however.

Although a 750 VA unit would have been sufficient, I like some headroom. I
obtained a reconditioned APC Smart-UPS
1500<http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500>from
Gruber
Power Services <http://www.gruberpower.com/>. It shipped with new
batteries, fully tested, and guaranteed for a year. The list on a new
SUA1500 is $559. Street prices are in the $400's. I got my reconditioned
unit for $179.

The Smart-UPS series has a DB9 serial port in addition to USB. With the
serial cable that is due in today, I can connect the SUA1500 to Serial 2 on
the C3700. (Serial 1 is the console.) The cable -- which has a proprietary
pin-out -- is OEM p/n 940-0024 (APC=$27, eBay=$15).

The final piece to the puzzle is PowerChute for HP-UX. Yes, it did exist.
(Retail<http://www.superwarehouse.com/APC_PowerChute_for_HP-UX/AP9005/p/5970>=$120,
eBay=$20) That's next. The APC page is gone, but it's still cached by
Google<http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:PrtruJLfZuUJ:www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm%3Fbase_sku%3DAP9005+ap9005&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us>
.

Best Regards,
Jim