[HPADM] Re: SUMMARY: RE: OT: Cascade Brocade Switches

From: vinod kumar (vinodkumarmp@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 11:37:45 EDT

I am replaying too late . But just to add little more
.

We have 4 brocade switch ( on each fabrics ) ISL'd
together . 1 32 port main brocade and 3 HP Blade
minuture switchs ( 8 port ) .

ISL between brocade very simple ( as you already found
out ) by just connecting the fibre cable between
switches . Few points you need to make sure before
you connect the cable .

1. There should not be any zone config on new switch
you are adding . if any , remove it before you
connect the cable . ( if might work if there is some
zones , but you wil end up cleaning it and if for any
chance , wwn or fcid confcit with new and old , it
will affect your prod )

2. dom ID should be uniq . Easy way to do this is
keep all Blade switches above 20 .

3. update firmware on new switch to min what is on the
main switch.

I worked on brocade for 5 + years but I like the
cisco mds now because it has some cool featurs which
brocade does not have . We are going to get HP
Blades with Cisco switches now onwards . One cool
thing with Cisco - cisco ISL ( both switch should be
Cisco) is that if you saturate the san traffic ( with
blades it is possible ) all you need is to coonect one
more cable between these switches and cisco
automatically truck it to double the bandwidth .

Thanks
-vinod

--- "Scalone, Galen" <Galen.Scalone@vacationclub.com>