[HPADM] QUESTION: Print Queue Issues

From: Marles, Rob (RMarles@trojanuv.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 11:40:28 EDT

Hi There

I am having a problem with disappearing print jobs when printing via a
remote windows-print server.

This windows print server has Unix Printing Services (TCP/IP Printing)
installed, and is working for the 100+ other queues on the HPUX box.

If I pause the print queue on the windows server, I can see the windows
based print jobs stuck in the queue using "lpstat".

If I send a plain jane text file to the printer (ie lp -d someprinter
helloworld.txt), if this queue was working correctly, I should have seen
my helloworld.txt file sitting in the print queue both in Windows and
HPUX.

(I've tested this theory using a known-good, working queue on the same
two servers).

What I'm seeing on a working queue is a print job comes into the windows
server as:
Document Name Owner
REMOTE DOWNLEVEL DOCUMENT SYSTEM

It then changes to read:
Document Name Owner
helloworld.txt robm

The document helloworld.txt then sits in the queue, waiting for the
queue to become un-paused.

In the queue that isn't working, I can see the remote downlevel document
hit the queue and quickly disappear. It does not sit in the paused
queue and the contents of helloworld.txt does not spool off the printer.

At first I thought it was a driver issue on the windows server. I moved
my tests from the server to my local machine, installed a fresh windows
driver, set everything up. Same issue. The job hits the paused queue
briefly then disappears.

This is why I'm back to looking at the HPUX box & this queue in
paticular as being the issue. Hopefully someone has seen this odd
issue.

Thanks in advance.

constitute a violation of law. If you are not the intended
this e-mail, and delete the message from your system. If you
immediately.