[HPADM] SUMMARY: help on "chroot'ed" ftp

From: Connie.Zolg@dana.com
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 15:55:04 EST

Thanks to James Perry for the following:
What I have had to do for similar issues is to make a directory under
/home/jaugust and soft-link inbound back to that directory under jaugust.

I ended up adding a guestuser statement to /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess (not
documented in the man page...) for CAN004, removed peartree from the
guestgroup statement, and added the 2 users to /etc/group's entry for
peartree .

Thanks ...

Connie Zolg
Dana Corporation
Dana Information Technology, LLC
connie.zolg@dana.com
419.482.2158
419.367.2827 (cell)

Connie Zolg/GITG/Dana
02/27/2007 03:01 PM

hpux-admin@dutchworks.nl
cc

Subject
 help on "chroot'ed" ftp

Here's the situation:

There is a chroot'ed ftp set up for
/psDEV/data/perm/interface/U2PSPQ/peartree

Here's part of the /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess:

guestgroup guest gpsftp peartree sqlserver
.
upload /psDEV/data/perm/interface/U2PSPQ/peartree no nodirs
upload /psDEV/data/perm/interface/U2PSPQ/peartree/inbound * yes psoft
peartree 0700 nodirs

User CAN004 is the only user in group peartree and all files under
inbound are owned by CAN004:peartree

User jaugust needs to be able to download files that are under the inbound
and/or outbound directories.

Problem: files are owned by CAN004
  -rw-r----- 1 CAN004 peartree 1678 Jan 31 18:14 PAYROLL_1995

If I add user jaugust to peartree in /etc/group, then he can't get to
anything using ftp because his home directory is: /home/jaugust and the
ftpaccess is preventing him from getting out of /home.

The only thing I know to do here is to have him use a different user that
is only in group peartree and the userid's only function is to download
files from here and it's home directory would be
/psDEV/data/perm/interface/U2PSPQ/peartree/.
What I don't like about this is that I would also need to do the same for
another directory called sqlserver, and who knows if they plan to add more
like this.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME AND APPRECIATED ......

Thanks ...

Connie Zolg
Dana Corporation
Dana Information Technology, LLC
connie.zolg@dana.com

</PRE>
<hr>

English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:<br>
<hr>