[HPADM] Sshell history across nfs

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeff.cleverley@avagotech.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 11:48:28 EST

Greetings,

We rebooted everything this weekend after updating everything with the
DST patches. Everything seemed fine until Tuesday afternoon (we were
off on Monday). Early afternoon we started getting calls from users
about slowness in their environments. The problem is that their home
directories, including the shell history, is on a nfs file system. We
did the old hack test and put the shell history in /tmp and everything
was fine. We don't back up /tmp or anything else on the local
workstations because they are designed to be thin clients and
interchangable. This means moving the histories local isn't really an
option.

The server in question is hpux 11.11 with APA using 2 gig cards. The
clients are a mix of hpux 11.00 workstations and RHEW linux clients.

I never did hear about a fix, or the root cause like nflocks, etc. Is
there a better way to fix this?

There is also a command that is slipping my mind that will show the
current running kernel status of things like tables. I remember looking
at it and it showed me how many locks we had in use and how many were
available, etc. Unfortunately the steel trap mind seems to be rusted
shut right now :-)

Thanks,

Jeff