[HPADM] SUMMARY: Any reason to reboot after DST patch is installed

From: Jeff Cleverley (jeff.cleverley@avagotech.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 12:30:42 EST

Greetings,

I'm sure there will be further discussion on the subject, but I wanted
to post what will be my summary.

I did some testing on a C3000 running 11.11. I used the old tztab file,
set the time for 1:40 am on March 11th and rebooted the box. I had also
set up a cron to run at 2:02 am and echo the current date into a file.
Once the box rebooted, I copied a new version of /usr/lib/tztab into
place and waited. At 1:59:59, the clock switch to 3:00 am as expected.
The cron job ran 2 minutes later and showed a date stamp of 3:02 am.
This tells me that we probably would not need to reboot the boxes. We
are having to reboot a bunch of linux and Windows boxes after doing some
updates so we have decided to reboot the hpux boxes during this window
as well.

I did receive the following information from Bill Hassell that may help
influence people's decisions on whether to reboot or not.

The answer is: reboot sometime before March.
Although most versions of HP-UX read the tztab file for every
time library call, a performance enhancement was put in place
in 11.23 (possibly 11.11 too) which will cache the tztab values
and save mostly redundant tztab reads. And for daemons like cron
and at, they already have their schedule in memory.

For NFS, date stamps are maintained by the NFS servers and then
interpreted by the clients.

So a reboot is recommended unless you're running the obsolete
11.00 or 10.20 and earlier.

Bill

Thanks again to Bill and everyone else who emailed me their opinions.

Jeff