[HPADM] SHMMAX kernel variable

From: Stephanie C (stepchung@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 12:49:08 EDT

I have the following error on HP-UX Data Protector (Omni Back) backup when
it tried to do the backup Solaris 8 server:
"Cannot allocate/attach shared memory (IPC Cannot Create Shared Memory
Segment
System error: [22] Invalid argument ) => aborting."

I googled this error and it shows the problem with "The backup fails because
the SHMMAX kernel variable, which limits the maximum size of shared memory
block..."

I am new with Solaris and never changed its kernel settings. Googled tells
me to change in /etc/system file and reboot the system. My solaris 8
/etc/system file does not have any kernel parameters in it.

My Solaris questions:

- How do I know what is the current value of kernel setting? (some kernel
display like sam in hp-ux?...)
- How to set the kernel in /etc/system file?
- What is the correct/appropriate value to set for the kernel? and how to
calculate the value?
- Is there a way to set the kernel without system reboot?

Thanks for the help.

Stephanie