[HPADM] SUMMARY - ftp connect message

From: Julian Rogan (Julian.Rogan@Unilever.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 04:02:25 EDT

Hi,
Many thanks for all the replies although most gave me the answer for V 11
and not 10.20

I have included a reply form Bill Hassell below plus some further
correspondence:

"The man page for ftpaccess will give many options for different message
files. Look for the section called Informational Capabilities. NOTE: the
ftpaccess file does not exist by default, but if you do not have the
current patches (especially for ftpd) then you don't have the WU-ftpd
version and
there is nothing you can do for custom messages. Note that WU-ftpd is
much more secure and for the totally obsolete (and unsupported) 10;.20
systems, you must have all the patches installed. While 10.20 was fine
back in 2001, the world has changed and you need your obsolete machines
patched as much as possible.
To get ftpaccess started, copy the sample file from
/usr/newconfig/etc/ftpd/examples to /etc/ftpd. Then add -a to the ftpd
options in inetd.conf and signal inetd to re-read
it's config file (inetd -c). Then the default files welcome.msg and
.message will start working. To display a banner prior to login, add the
line:
banner /etc/ftpd/bannerfile
to ftpaccess and then create the file bannerfile (bannerfile can be any
name) with whateven you want. Check out the reserved macros or magic
cookies
which allow you to put special information such as the local and remote
hostnames, maximum allowed connections and current connections, the
local time, and so on (man ftpaccess). "

"Thanks Bill,
Do you happen to know where I can get the last patches produced for 10.20
. I don't think they are available from the Support Centre"

" http://h20293.www2.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/gr.html
    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/qpk.html
    http://h20293.www2.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/hwcr.html

Install all of them (duplicates or un-applicable patches are ignored as
well as patches installed that supersede those in the above
depots. Plan to spend about 1-2 days installing - there are hundreds (if
your system is really old).

Also get the 10.20 catalog from ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/export/patches/
This ftp site may not exist in a few months. You have to make you
own copies of these patches. HP has not provided any support for 10.20 for
several years and these patches will disappear with no
possibility of getting them in the future."

Many thanks again to all who replied,

Julian